Saturday, February 21, 2009

Introduction

Hi, I'm Larry. Here's the deal. I'm going to create a list of my top ten or so favorite films by letting the films slug in out in a silly imaginary tournament. After this process in complete, and if anyone cares, I may let anyone out there suggest other titles, after which I would employ some sort of voting procedure to create, not my personal top ten list, but an ever-changing, increasingly meaningless top ten list of the masses. It's still a pretty vague idea, still gradually forming in my mind.

At any rate, the way I chose to begin this project was to form an alphabetic list of favorite movies, one film for each letter of the alphabet, plus one film starting with a numeral. This list is based largely of the DVD's sitting on my shelf. In some cases, it was hard to come up with any good film starting with a particular letter. In other cases, ("B" in particular) it was very difficult to limit myself to a single film. The list is given below. An asterisk indicates that I was able to think of at least one other candidate starting with the same letter. Cases where I had to scratch my head and really think to come up with even one film are probably obvious.

2001
Alien*
Brazil*
A Clockwork Orange*
The Devil's Backbone*
Eraserhead*
Fargo
Gods and Monsters*
The Hidden Fortress
Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill
Juno
Koyaanisqatsi
The Lord of the Rings
Midnight Cowboy*
The Nightmare Before Christmas
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Pi*
Quadraphenia
Run Lola Run*
Scarface*
The Third Man*
Urgh! A Music War
Veer-Zaara
Waiting for Guffman*
X-Men
Yojimbo
Z

No comments: