Sunday, February 22, 2009

Round One - Early results

Well, I haven't received any suggestions as to what films I should select from each of the groups, so I've decided the winners myself. The winners are bold-faced in the list below. Now, this process may be a bit unfair to films that happened to be particularly strong groups, so I'm going to rescue 16 of the films that didn't pass the first cut to create a list of 48 winners. I encourage you to look at the list below and tell me which of the films I've cut that I should rescue.

In addition, I've decided that the excellent film My Life as a Dog has such a special place in my heart that it deserved a first-round bye. It will now be added to the second round, creating a list of 49 films that I'll divide into seven groups of seven. Thus, not many films will have been eliminated in this round, but I'll try to make the next round more stringent.

There is one other thing I should have mentioned. I generally take a dim view of remakes, particularly remakes of movies there were excellent the first time around. Unless otherwise noted, the films I list here are the originals, not remakes. That having been said, the film Scarface that appears in my list is not the original, but the 1983 version. The Lord of the Rings refers, of course, to the series of three films directed by Peter Jackson. Also, River's Edge is exactly that, not to be confused with the 1957 film The River's Edge. If anyone notices other cases that may cause confusion, please let me know.

A)
Veer-Zaara
The Lord of the Rings
Midnight Cowboy
Koyaanisqatsi
2001
Resevoir Dogs
Alien
Pan's Labyrinth

B)
Dead Alive
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Big Night
Fargo
Pi
Warriors
M

C)
Best in Show
The Hidden Fortress
Felicia's Journey
This is Spinal Tap
Pulp Fiction
Gods and Monsters
X-Men
Scarface

D)
The Third Man
The Saddest Music in the World
Requiem for a Dream
Eraserhead
Gojira
Run Lola Run
Juno
Z

E)
Quadraphenia
River's Edge
Allegro Non Troppo
Bonnie and Clyde
Blue Velvet
Seven Samurai
A Clockwork Orange
Bicycle Theives

F)
Bombay
Memento
Ararat
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Blood Simple
The Devil's Backbone
Blade Runner
Waiting for Guffman

G)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Brazil
Cool Hand Luke
A Face in the Crowd
Urgh! A Music War
Straw Dogs
The City of Lost Children
Yojimbo

H)
Night of the Living Dead
Dr. Strangelove
Baraka
Boy's Don't Cry
Earth
Dancer in the Dark
The Grifters
The Deerhunter

3 comments:

Escape Goat said...

I'm pretty close with you except in

Group C
I'd take The Hidden Fortress over Felicia's Journey

Group E
Bonnie and Cyde over Blue Velvet

Group H
The Deerhunter over The Grifters.

L. Chupacabra said...

Thank you for your input. It will make a difference, as otherwise I probably wouldn't include Bonnie and Clyde in the extra 16 "at large" films for round 2.

L. Chupacabra said...

Oh, and I think your vote for The Hidden Fortress saves that film for round 2 as well. I was going to keep The Deerhunter even without your vote, but in general, your votes do make a difference.