Friday, April 3, 2009

Final Results #3

Well, there are some clear signs that I should bring this blog to an end soon, or at least radically change the format. Some of my favorite movies are no longer even making it into the runners-up list (hence I can't include them in the top ten without breaking my own rules). I do have a list of more than 25 films that we have not considered yet, so I think I'll run one more iteration. At that point, I intend to do some "best-of-the-best" recap or something, then give it a rest.

I did include IMDB-generated "votes" in the final round. They only produced one change in the results. Because of the inclusion of these votes, Citizen Kane is the winner of Group A. That film did not get my first vote, but given the two possible outcomes, I thought it was the more reasonable. Anyway, the winners of each of the five final groups, making the top half of this competition's top ten list are

Citizen Kane
The Godfather
M
My Life as a Dog
Seven Samurai


No surprise about The Godfather, it pretty universally gets #1 votes, but I am surprised that M sneaked in there. It's been in our Film Fights since the beginning, and has never made the top ten before. (Actually, I voted it higher than I usually do, but it still surprised me to see it in the top five.) To fill out the top ten, I ended up choosing one more film from each of the five groups. I think that's the first time that's happened. Anyway, I chose:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Brazil
A Clockwork Orange
The Third Man
To Kill a Mockingbird


Yeah, yell all you want, that's what you get for voting out my favorites.

The next (and final) competition will begin shortly.

No comments: